Wednesday, September 30, 2020

This is Crestone...

 I met three lovely locals on a walk this morning.

Two were a young couple who live in a teepee.

One was a 65-ish man with a ZZ Top beard. He's moving to the Ozarks because there are "too damn many people" in Crestone now, and it's "too Californicated." (The population of ALL of Saguache County, CO is 6,000.)

Also, Crestone has a population of 146, as of 2018. (To be fair, many more people live in the neighboring Baca Grant areas, where my current place is: probably a good portion of those 6,000 residents of Saguache County.) This small village has two small grocery stores, both of which are considerably nicer than any grocery store in my town of 60,000 people. Healthy eating is clearly a priority here. The granola factor is, let's say..."off the charts."

As a former 12-months-a-year Birkenstock wearer* (a lifetime ago in Seattle), I feel among my people here.

(*With the heavy wool socks, of course. My niece and nephew still apparently refer to them as "Uncle Craig socks.")


No comments:

I leave to go home in the morning

  I leave to go home in the morning. A person can simultaneously hold seemingly contradictory thoughts and feelings (just ask me how I feel ...