Thursday, October 1, 2020

Willow Lake Day Hike

Willow Lake is one of the most popular destinations in the Sangres. It is a beautiful lake,  and there are numerous waterfalls above and below the lake. Plus, Sangres trails are notoriously steep, and this one is more moderate: it's about 5 miles and 2,500 feet of elevation gain to the lake.

Kit Carson Peak, a 14er, looms above the lake, but it was almost impossible for me to take a picture of it, because I was looking right into the sun.

There were a group of Bighorn Sheep (ewes and lambs, no rams) at the lake. they scattered when I arrived, but eventually reappeared on the rocks a little ways around the shore.

I saw at least six other parties--on a Thursday in October. Like I said, a very popular destination. For good reason. I had extended chats with a few. I'm definitely a "socially functioning introvert," but a month of mostly solitude has definitely bumped up my urge for social contact. Among those I spoke to: a 71-year-old who backpacked to the lake basin and will be climbing Kit Carson tomorrow. I said to him, "I salute you, and please God let that be me."



The big meadow, the town of Crestone,
the vast San Luis Valley, and the San Juan Mountains
in the far distance






lunch spot selfie




Kit Carson Peak




No comments:

I leave to go home in the morning

  I leave to go home in the morning. A person can simultaneously hold seemingly contradictory thoughts and feelings (just ask me how I feel ...