Monday, October 5, 2020

I leave to go home in the morning

 

I leave to go home in the morning. A person can simultaneously hold seemingly contradictory thoughts and feelings (just ask me how I feel about Thomas Jefferson, for example).
 
I've had a tremendous sabbatical retreat for just over a month. A quick estimate is that I have walked something like at least 150 miles in the last month. And I've made a lot of progress on the band piece that I started on this trip. Most of the "creative work" is done--there are still a lot of details to be worked out.
 
It would surprise absolutely no one for me to say that I would *love* to live in the mountains. But, simultaneously, this is not where my life is: my life (that I love) is in Kansas, with nary a mountain to be seen. It all starts with Tracey, our beautiful family and home and life together, of course. She hates this touchy-feely stuff, so I'll leave it at that. And I also love my work life, colleagues, and students, although, again, it's great to get a break. I wish everyone could have the experience of a sabbatical at some point in their life. So, it's great to be where I am now, and also I can't wait to be back home.
See you in Kansas!

No comments:

I leave to go home in the morning

  I leave to go home in the morning. A person can simultaneously hold seemingly contradictory thoughts and feelings (just ask me how I feel ...