Friday, October 17, 2008

Great Friday (is it Friday?)

What a great day today...

1. I finished the clarinet sonata. It's always a great day when you finish a piece. A 12-minute, 3-movement piece in 16 days. I'm sure that is a record for me.

2. Just literally as I was writing the last notes, Mark from the NPS came to my door with a package that had arrived on the boat today. (I was there, picking up groceries, but I wasn't looking for a package.) It was a care package from home. That always makes one feel loved. Funny--they included a book: Peter Gomes, The Scandalous Gospel of Jesus: What's So Good About the Good News? My family knows me well. So well, in fact, that this is the book I bought at the airport on my way here and read on my backpacking trips over the last 3 weeks! (It's a good book. Gomes is a name dropper, which is irksome. But if you can get past that, his books are excellent.)

3. The boat was late today, so while waiting to pick up my groceries, I met several local folks. It just seems like there are good people here. Nobody ever locks anything, people leave their keys in their cars...

4. It was a beautiful day today, contrary to what was forecasted. I got out on my bike late this afternoon, on a loon hunt. I saw ducks and geese galore, but no loons. (They like deeper water to fish in, so they probably hang out more in the middle of the lake where they're harder to see.)

No comments:

I leave to go home in the morning

  I leave to go home in the morning. A person can simultaneously hold seemingly contradictory thoughts and feelings (just ask me how I feel ...